Monday, July 13, 2009

When the moon hits the sky...

For the past few months I've been trying to perfect my pizza making skills. It was touch and go for awhile. There were several nights that it felt like we were eating cardboard with sauce and cheese. For once in my life though I decided to actually stick to something and see it through and the results were definitely worth it!

The recipe I used made two medium sized pie's.

I topped one with mushrooms, red sauces, and fresh mozzarella. (I was taking the pizza's to Jasons parents for dinner and only half baked them at my house then baked them for the last few minutes at Jason's parents- Hence then light colored crust and unmelte cheese!)

and for the second I used fresh basil from the garden, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. Instead of using sauce I topped it with a little olive oil and garlic.

The best part about these pizza's was the price. The only things that I didn't have on hand to make the pizza with was the mozzarella. Everything else either came from the garden or I had in the pantry. I even got the mozzarella at Adli's for a mere $2.19, which was enough for both pizza's plus a little extra left over.

So without further ado here is the recipe.

The best pizza crust ever...

1 cup warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a small bowl combine water, yeast, and sugar. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes to proof. (This is THE most important step and one that I always skipped until this recipe, hence the cardboard) Meanwhile in a large bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. After yeast is frothy and well proofed add it to dry ingredients. Mix all ingredients until combined and then transfer to a floured surface. knead for about 4 minutes or until your arms feel like their going to fall off. Put dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let bowl sit in a warm place for 45 minutes.

Once yeast has risen for 45 minutes divide dough into 2 pieces and roll out into a circle. Cover with sauce and toppings of choice and bake at 500 degrees for 10-12 minutes. (Mine got a little two brown towards the end so for the second pizza I baked with foil over it for the first 5 minutes. If you like crispy crust I would skip this step!)

For more frugal recipe's check out the recipe swap going on over at The Grocery Cart Challenge.


1 comment:

  1. I think you put your problem behind you. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete