Friday, July 24, 2009

Dear San Diego, I hate you much less now.

The only perk about Jason traveling so much is that I sometimes get to go and see him where he is at and stay for a few days. I was debating whether or not to visit him in San Diego because of the price of the plane ticket. But in the end I decided that I need a mini- vacation and I have never visited California so this will be a new and exciting experience! I'm SO excited to go. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it through the next 18 days. Ugh.
I have two favors to ask of you wonderful readers out in Blog land. Does anybody have any suggestions of things to do in and around San Diego? Also, I'm trying to pack as light as possible now that it costs $25 to check a bag. I'm only going to be there for 3 days. Do you guys think it would be possible to pack only a carry on?? I haven't flown for over a year and this whole paying to bring one stinking suitcase is killing me. I really would rather spend that $25 while I'm actually IN San Diego. Any packing or travel tips of suggestions you guys may have would be oh so appreciated!

In reward for your valued opinions I will leave you with the best ever recipe for Italian bread. I make one loaf every Sunday and it lasts until about Monday morning. Its that good. Before making this bread I tried about 7,253,448 bread recipes. All of which produced either a thick brown crust, a weird shaped load (thank you bread machine), crumbly bread that fell apart when you touched it, and a variety of other bread ailments. This recipe is easy and delicious! It tastes like bread that you would actually want to eat. So without further ado here is the recipe...

Italian Bread

1 cup luke warm water
1 1/2 tbs sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp fast active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil

Combine water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes or until mixture is foamy. In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients. Once yeast mixture is frothy add it to the dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are combined. Knead for 1-2 minutes on a floured surface. Place in an oiled bowl and let raise for 45 mins. Form into a loaf type shape on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 25-30 mins.

If you are feeling fancy you can add a few tablespoons of chopped herbs and a dash of Parmesan cheese. I had great success with a handful of basil, fresh garlic, and cheese added. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you can pack a carry-on for 3 days. Pack shorts and sundresses this time of year. There is the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, LegoLand (fascinating even for just adults because everything is built from Legos). Be sure to take comfy shoes or sandals. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Diego has many things to do...they have an art museum http://www.sdmart.org/, a science center http://www.rhfleet.org/ a wonderful zoo that takes all day to see, http://www.zoo-san-diego.com/. Going over to Coranado is a wonderful trip and the hotel there has wonderful food. There is also Seaport Village and lots of beach to just lay in the sand. I am from california been here forever. they also just put in a new aquarium next to legoland. I haven't been there yet. I live about 2 hours north of San Diego.

    ReplyDelete