Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Yes, it's another post about dinner

I got home from work tonight and felt like making a dish of absolutely nothing for dinner. For some reason my 1 hour and 15 minute commute just doesn't put me in the mood to come home and cook a 5 course meal. However like a good girlfriend I sucked it up and made the easiest and fastest thing I could think of. Luckily it used up the green pepper that was beginning to turn mushy.

Deconstructed Stuffed Peppers

1-2 green peppers (depending if you eat a whole or half)
1 bag instant rice (I use brown but use whatever you have)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cup water
4 green onions
1 1/2 cup TVP (or for all you meat eaters, 1 1/2 cup ground meat)

Cook the rice according to directions and set aside. Next cut green peppers in half and roast in the over at 425 for 15 minutes or until soft. If the pepper is really thick or tough I will boil it for a few minutes prior to roasting. While pepper is roasting put tomatoes, water, half the chopped onions and cooked TVP in a pan. Once the mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken add the rice.


Place half or a whole green pepper in a bowl and top with the tomato, rice, tvp mixture and voila deconstructed stuffed pepper.



I realize this isnt an exact stuffed pepper like most people are used to. However it takes about 20 minutes to make as opposed to the typical hour it takes just to stuff the peppers. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment