Friday, June 5, 2009

Veggie Cakes


Our garden is growing like crazy thanks to all the rainy days we're had here in western Pennsylvania. Last summer, before our garden, we made trips to the local farmers market and always had so many great vegetables on hand. The only downside to they amazing fresh produce was that by August I had exhausted every recipe I had for a quick vegetable dish. One day when I was thinking about how to use my leftover zucchini, squash, carrots, etc I decided to make some veggie cakes. I was skeptical at first but they turned out so great I make them all the time now.

Veggie Cakes

1/2 cup zucchini

1/2 cup squash

1/4 cup carrots

1/4 cup onions

bisquick

1 egg (in addition to the egg called for by the bisquick recipe)

Shred all vegetables and put in strainer to let excess water drain off. While vegetables are draining follow directions on bisquick box to make 4 pancakes. Add pancake batter to vegetables and mix well. Next add 1 egg and combine wit mixture. Heat a small amount of oil in pan or on griddle. Drop about 2 tablespoons of batter onto a skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

I usually serve these with a green salad with a tangy dressing. The dressing with the veggie cakes just seems to compliment each other. I have also made these by adding or substituting other vegetables like mushrooms and green peppers. These are super simple and so good!

Tomorrow I am going to a Fleatique in my hometown. There will be 3 miles of vendors selling crafts, antiques, baked goods, books, as well as families having yard sales. I'm like a little kid on Christmas because I am so excited to go!

If anybody is in the area and would like to check it out here is the link...

Fleatique on the Mon


No comments:

Post a Comment